Using Humor in the Classroom
I remember my childhood when my mother used to wake me up for the school, I always used to deny to go to the school because school used to be the most boring place on earth for me where only scolding of teacher, grave faces of tutors, books and pens were there and the most important thing which I was searching was missing which was fun and laughter. Earlier I was made to understand that I was a naughty kid and forcibly sent to the school but now I see that my demands in my childhood were just little wishes which a child should deserve. Today parents want their children to be scholar and intelligent in their very tender childhood whereas kids only want to have fun and excitement which is good and right for the children in this age because they deserve it. Today school managements are also taking this in consideration and they are reducing pressure from the head of children and they are trying to make syllabus less burdening. But this is not enough, though online learning has done the needful and institute ERP and school management software are contributing a lot in this process. Institute ERP and school management software are helping the students to make online learning less boring. Still students’ right is to smile and laugh and enjoy their childhood as much as they can. Teachers these days take teaching training but they usually don’t include fun and humor in their teaching. Induction of humor in the classroom creates a positive atmosphere for learning and enjoyment is directly related with attainment of knowledge. Humor brings a sense of pleasure and appreciation and creates a positive and soothing experience for the students as well as the tutor.
Ways Humor Can Be Induced in Classroom:
Humor is a magical thing which keeps people laughing and smiling but it has some rules too that humor should never hurt anyone’s sentiment and also while humor in the classroom no sarcasm should be used among students so that a healthy atmosphere can be maintained.
- Tutor should not run a dictator classroom instead he or she should do something silly and wrong and instead of hiding it, mention it to the kids and roll in laughter along with students and make students understand that making mistakes is no sin instead a better way of learning.
- Add humorous activities and projects to the curriculum of the students and make them participate in them like giving them tasks to paint the face of their peers into funny faces and use their creativity also. This will be the ultimate funny and humorous activity for the students.
- An effective teacher keeps all those small and big steps in the teaching process which motivate students towards learning and boosts up their morale. Under this process the teacher can use that board where he or she writes motivational quotes for students. So, he or she can write motivational quotes in the morning and humorous quotes when students are about to leave the school so that they go home smiling and enjoying themselves.
- At least half an hour should be kept for one day in a week like on Saturday when students and kids are given a chance to watch funny cartoons which can make them roll in laughter, although this process is adapted in some kindergarten schools but still not everywhere so it should be adapted by every school.
- Ask the students to bring some jokes and make them tell a joke in the class everyday after school hours are finished by grabbing just 5-10 minutes daily. In these ways after so many hectic hours of class students will leave class with laughter and smiles which will relax them.
- Choose a day and make them wear funny hats and funny clothes like mismatched shoes and slippers so that without making much effort students can laugh at each other. Also, students can be asked to write any humorous essay or story which will be read by the writer student among the class so that everyone can enjoy that time.
- Teachers can ask their students to bring any funny and humorous book or comic book which they think is the funniest one and make them read the funniest story from that book. In this way they can have practice on effective reading and they will enjoy it too.